A little about Transport North East
Transport North East works to deliver game-changing transport schemes and initiatives. Our goal is to greatly improve the lives of everyone living or working in our region.
We provide strategy, planning and delivery services on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee (NEJTC) and work tirelessly to implement our vision of moving to a green, healthy, dynamic and thriving North East.
The committee brings together the region’s two Combined Authorities (North of Tyne Combined Authority covering Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland, and the North East Combined Authority covering Durham, Gateshead, Sunderland and South Tyneside) which have transport powers for the region. We want to deliver a modern, robust transport system region-wide and promote greener, more sustainable travel. We are a force for good, looking to improve regional transport for all.
Our services include:
- The Transport Strategy Unit which prepares the region’s Transport Plan on behalf of NEJTC, develops policy and bids for funding for ambitious transport projects;
- Nexus – the Passenger Transport Executive (PTE) for Tyne and Wear – which owns and operates the iconic Tyne and Wear Metro, the Shields Ferry, bus stations and shelters and provides information and ticketing across the area;
- The Tyne Tunnels which carry thousands of vehicles everyday on the A19 highway and the pedestrian and cyclist tunnel that has recently been refurbished;
- The North East Rail Management Unit which brings together local authorities with rail operators and Network Rail;
- The North East’s input into Transport for the North; and
- Multiple day-to-day specialist activities including analysis, appraisal, monitoring, briefing, partnership working and the delivery of active travel projects.
So, what do we do?
Our job is to make sure we’re doing everything we can to keep the North East moving, growing and evolving through innovative schemes and supportive funding.
We’re passionate about connectivity and delivering a first-rate modern transport system to the people of the North East is central to everything we do.
We do this by;
- Providing a unified voice on key strategic transport issues,
- Linking transport planning with regional economic priorities,
- Offering strong representation on issues of national significance including rail, air travel, strategic road network and our ports,
- Effective co-ordination – enabling improvement to the area’s public transport network.
With so much going on, stay up-to-date by following us on social media.