About Transport North East
Transport North East works to deliver game-changing transport schemes and initiatives. Our goal is to greatly improve the lives of everyone living or working in our region.
We provide strategy, planning and delivery services on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee (NEJTC) and work tirelessly to implement our vision of moving to a green, healthy, dynamic and thriving North East.
The committee brings together the region’s two Combined Authorities (North of Tyne Combined Authority covering Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland, and the North East Combined Authority covering Durham, Gateshead, Sunderland and South Tyneside) which have transport powers for the region.
We want to deliver a modern, robust transport system region-wide and promote greener, more sustainable travel. We recently helped to deliver the first North East Transport Plan, a strategic document which sets out our regional transport aspirations up to 2035.
The Transport Plan brings to life our transport aspirations for the region and includes a live programme of 243 schemes which will bring in at least £6.8bn of transport investment – a figure which will grow over time.
Our services include:
- The Transport Strategy Unit which prepared the region’s Transport Plan on behalf of NEJTC, develops policy and bids for funding for ambitious transport projects;
- Nexus – the Passenger Transport Executive (PTE) for Tyne and Wear – which owns and operates the iconic Tyne and Wear Metro, the Shields Ferry, bus stations and shelters and provides information and ticketing across the area;
- The Tyne Tunnels which carry thousands of vehicles everyday on the A19 highway and the pedestrian and cyclist tunnel that has recently been refurbished;
- The North East Rail Management Unit which brings together local authorities with rail operators and Network Rail;
- The North East’s input into Transport for the North; and
- Multiple day-to-day specialist activities including analysis, appraisal, monitoring, briefing, partnership working and the delivery of active travel projects.
We do this by:
- Providing a unified voice on key strategic transport issues,
- Linking transport planning with regional economic priorities,
- Offering strong representation on issues of national significance including rail, air travel, strategic road network and our ports,
- Effective co-ordination – enabling improvement to the area’s public transport network.
With so much going on, stay up-to-date by following us on social media or check out our latest news.
You can contact the Transport North East team using our Contact Us page.